Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Birth Plan

This is a post I have been wanting to write for a little while, but I wanted to do it in the right way. I don't want it to come across as preachy at all. I believe that every woman needs to decide what is right for her as far as the birth of her child. It's such a personal decision and there are so many different options. My birth "plan" (because I know that I could end up needing interventions if necessary) is something I put a lot of thought into. I started thinking about it even before I was pregnant. Brodie has heard more than he probably ever thought he would about birth! He has been very supportive though, and I feel lucky. This post is designed only to share my philosophy about birth and what I decided would work best for me.

My interest in nutrition and natural health led me to look more into natural birth options. I started thinking of birth as a sacred rite of passage, one that I wanted to be present for and really feel. I started reading more about hospital interventions, and realized that although they are sometimes medically necessary, they are definitely overused in our society. I am so glad that in a dangerous situation there are some amazing things doctors can do to keep mom and baby safe and healthy, but I decided I didn't want any interventions if I didn't really need them. I wanted to spend my pregnancy preparing myself for a natural birth, much the same as preparing for a marathon. I wanted my body and mind to be strong enough to endure it. I believe that if a woman chooses to she can get herself into a mental state that is calm and present enough to get through it. I didn't want to be groggy and removed from the most special and important moments of my life. I also didn't want to be confined to the bed hooked up to monitors. I wanted to be able to get up and move around in a way that feels good for my body. It really goes against gravity to deliver the baby while laying on your back. So (TMI) squatting in the birthing tub is probably the way I'm going to deliver. I love a challenge, and this will surely be the biggest one I've ever faced.

We decided to deliver at The Birth Center in Murray, and so far I am so glad we made that decision. They have been so great, and I'm excited to be in a place where everyone shares the same ideas about birth. I am planning on a water birth, unless it doesn't feel right or comfortable to me to deliver in the tub. I at least want to do some of my laboring in there because it sounds like it would feel really good. I also understand that I may end up transfering to the hospital. It isn't likely, but it is always a possibility and I will trust the midwives in making that decision and will try to just go with the flow.

We have signed up for a Hypnobirthing class that starts in January and are really excited! It is a method of preparing for birth that uses deep relaxation, meditation, and self-hypnosis. I am so glad that Brodie is not freaked out by any of this. He has been very involved and supportive of my wishes. I envision this day to be such a special and intimate one for us, and I really want to create a calm, peaceful atmosphere for our little girl to come into the world. I have found myself being very protective about this sacred experience. Everyone is so different with what they want. Some people would love to have everyone they know there for all of it, but that isn't what I wanted. I really feel like this day is just for the three of us. I thought about it a lot, and worried about hurting people's feelings, but ultimately decided on what was best for us. I've asked that we be alone for the first day, and then after that everyone is welcome! Even having everyone nervously pacing the waiting room waiting to burst in and meet the baby was too much for me. I wanted to protect our bonding time as a new little family. We also only have four hours at The Birth Center after she is born and then we have to go home, so I wanted to just be able to go home and cuddle with her and sleep and bond. Then after that I am so excited for everyone to meet her and would love to share it with them. I am extremely close with my family and can't wait to see them hold her for the first time! Everyone has been very supportive of this decision and I am grateful that we have the families we have.

I don't want to overplan and try to control every detail, but I do have an outline of what I want. I know that the experience will probably end up being different than I think it's going to be, and we are both staying open while trying to prepare as much as we can. We have just over three months left, and I get more and more excited every day.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! Trevor and I did the Hypnobirthing classes and loved it. Unfortunately our delivery didn't go exactly as planned, but the things I learned at the classes helped me a lot going through the emotional pain we had afterwards. It is great that you have a sense of reality in your plan though. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used hypnobabies with my last two and loved it. It helped me have a beautiful experience with both their births. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete